April 16, 2012

A day in the life...

Just for my records, so I can look back when I'm thinking 'oh how I wish I could go back to my children being newborns...' Here is what a typical day for my is looking like.

Lets just start in the middle of the night for kicks-

3am-time to change and feed Parker. I roll out of bed in a total haze, grab a bottle wait on it to heat up while I rock him back and forth praying his sister (the lightest sleeper in the world) doesn't wake. This whole process takes around an hour.

6am-time to wake up for the day-we change & feed the little man. Blakely is waking around 6:15 when she hears us up-needing to be changed, her milk, breakfast and lots and lots of attention. SO while I'm holding and feeding Parker, after about 4 hours of totally broken sleep, I stumble up the stairs to a screaming Blakely. I pick her up with my right arm (Parker still in my left arm, bottle being held from my chin) and try my hardest not to trip down the stairs. While I burp the little buddy I fill Blakely's cup and throw a waffle in the toaster, sit her on the couch and desperately search for the remote to play Elmo. I finish feeding Parker and sit with Blakely as she eats her waffle and tunes into 'her show'. (No judging zone here!)
**side note here: At this point when Parker is awake, he wants your complete attention & by attention I mean if he isn't being held, bounced and talked to he is crying-period. This has been the case all day, every day for one week.

7am-I finally get my coffee. I put it on the kitchen table, run to the potty with both children in arms. I put B down so I can wipe (TMI sorry) and here comes temper tantrum #1 of 100 for the day. She drops to the floor and screams SO loud-I can't even describe it. This makes P upset...okay okay 'everyone out!' B-"poo poo" (did I mention we are potty training?) I get her potty situated and we sit, sit, and sit some more-no pee pee or poo poo of course! We flush, wash hands, put a star on her chart, and get a gummy...(this is about a 20 min. deal for those who don't know)

7:45am- B 'poo poo potty' 'poo poo'-SO back to the potty we go-same deal as last time...(20 min) Now Zizi is screaming for breakfast. Still no coffee...

8am-Parker is asleep-hallelujah! I clean, sterilize, and make bottles for the day, cram some breakfast down and fill Blakely's water table up with water in hopes to entertain her for a second.

8:30am-B is soaked-to be expected, but I'm realizing it's not as hot out there as I first thought. I make her come inside so I can get some dry clothes on her-temper tantrum #2-same exact deal as before. I pick out some clothes that she doesn't want to wear-tantrum #3...I pick out shoes she doesn't want-tantrum #4...I won't let her take all 20 stuffed animals down the stairs-tantrum #5...As I throw the soaked clothes in the hamper I see 6 loads that need to be washed-my ADD kicks in and I start washing. Parker is now screaming needing his bottle-I drop what I'm doing and run to start heating the bottle...BTW-Blakely has now destroyed her room (that was spotless 10 minutes ago)-I'm talking not an inch of carpet showing...Still no coffee

9:00am-Feed, burp & change the little man. (remember, this process takes around an hour)

10am-run upstairs remembering the washer that is only half full. I finish my load of laundry, vacuum, get dressed, & make the bed-only to realize that my sweet dog has totally dirtied up our white duvet, the sheets and our massive WHITE quilt...3 more loads to add to those 6 others. I take the down comforter out of the duvet and throw it all in the laundry room. Still no coffee!

11:30-time for B's lunch-aka the pickiest eater in the world. I ask her what she wants. b-'oatmeal', I make oatmeal-she throws it on the ground-she gets a spanking & time out for this-tantrum #6, . Parker is screaming-I put him in his bouncer and bounce as we deal with sister. I make a PB & J-ground-spanking & time out again-tantrum #7. I get yogurt out-'this is the last thing Mommy is getting for you-you will not get to eat if you throw your yogurt. To my relief she eats it & when lunch is over yogurt is covering every inch of her face, her clothes, her chair, and the floor. Upstairs we run to get some new, clean clothes on. The clothes are done in the wash-so I throw them in the dryer. Parker cries and I run downstairs-oh yea...time to eat again. BTW-I'm STARVING by this point!

12pm-Feed, burp & change P, take Blakely up for her nap-tantrum #8, run back downstairs and rock Parker. Finally, he is asleep! (this is nap #2 mind you and the first one was only 30 min, so no, not all newborns nap all day!)

1:00pm- I clean the now dry oatmeal from the floor, oh and the yogurt and sandwich too. I make my lunch, start reading my devotion and get online to pay some bills. Finally I get to heat up my 6 hour old coffee and get a few sips in before Parker starts screaming-ahhh here we go. I put him in his bouncer-screaming! Put him in his swing-screaming! Put him in his crib-screaming! ALRIGHT-we're back to holding the little fella.

1:30pm-B is awake. She finally went 'poo-poo' and guess what it wasn't in the potty. I clean her up, pick up some of her hundred babies thrown across the room. I throw another load in the washer and take clothes from the dryer. I take them in my room and start folding-P is on the bed just looking at me while I sing to Pandora playing 'the wheels on the bus' or 'the wiggles'. B is dancing-happy for once in the day because she just woke up. I fold all the clothes and notice B is now completely naked-something she LOVES to do lately. She is now peeing...on our carpet! I run to pick her up, clean her up, get her dressed, & clean up the carpet. B is now on top of the bed throwing every single item I just folded on the ground...I admit defeat and head back downstairs. Zizi is screaming to go outside-out we go.

2:30pm-I attempt to clean up downstairs, Blakely wants her milk-which we can't have until dinner...at 5. TANTRUM of all TANTRUMS! With all the eating problems, I can't let her spoil her appetite. I hand her water and she throws it to the floor out of anger-spanking & time out. Tantrum again...

2:45pm-B: 'pee pee momma'...off to the potty we go. P is screaming (hungry again), B on the toilet, zizi screaming to go out again, cell phone going off...my mind starts to scream! Ok-we can do this...I tell B I'll be right back. I run to the fridge-are you kidding me-no more bottles! I hurry to make one, throw it in the warmer. P starts pooping-I run to grab B off the potty and try to explain to a 22 month old why she is through trying to wait on her pee pee to come out...I change Parker. Poop keeps a comin' and a comin'. It is now all over the changing pad and his clothes. I run out of wipes-which are upstairs in his closet...I throw a burp cloth over him and head upstairs for some more wipes.

3:20pm-Finally getting around to feeding this now starving little boy! (he was supposed to eat 20 min ago after all!) I burp him and change him again. Blakely is beside herself at this point needing attention from me. I set him down and start reading to her. She then tears a page from one of her books-spanking & time out-tantrum...I keep reading and she starts throwing books-that one was close to hitting her brother-spanking & time out-tantrum.

4:30pm-time to cook. P is screaming and B is wrapped around my leg screaming & BEGGING me to hold her. I pick her up to eliminate some of the noise. I have to cook the meat and cut the potatoes so I put B down-SCREAMING tantrum (face down on the floor). I'm bouncing P at this point, cutting potatoes, and having to endure this screaming fit B has decided to throw.

5pm-dinner is ready. We eat-well Clint and B eat-I eat 5 bites and P starts another crying fit. I get up and rock him. Clint finishes eating and rocks him as I clean, clean and clean some more. I clean dishes, bottles, Blakely's face, arms and hands, and try to pick up a few toys that are scattered throughout the entire house.

5:30pm-Bath time for Parker...I fill the little tub up, bathe him, dress him & feed him.

6:30pm-Bath time for Blakely...I fill the tub, bathe her, put lotion on, dress her, brush her teeth, dry her hair. We play upstairs for a while-I finish up another load of laundry as I take advantage of Clint temporarily holding the little guy and entertaining Blakely.

7:30pm-I get my shower & take all the clean clothes downstairs to fold. I finish picking up around the house, take Zizi outside, make bottles for the night, and squeeze in some blogging & other things on my 'to-do' list

9pm-Time to feed again...

10pm-Take Parker upstairs for the night and get myself ready for bed.

12:00am-Feed...you know the drill

and then we start over at 3am...

2 comments:

  1. Bless you!! I know how tough it is. When Westin was born, AR was 3 months away from turning 2. Little girls can be so dramatic. Especially when they are use to all of the attention. My husband worked in San Antonio full time for the first year of Westin's life and I told myself that if I could survive that year I could survive anything. It's tough but it gets so much better and easier! Love your blog! Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave soul! I only endure 2 days a week like that. I couldn't imagine doing it 7. Such a strong mommy! Only thing I fear when #2 arrives is getting everyone out the door by 6:30...just praying Aiden does well with it all.

    ReplyDelete