July 30, 2017

Hannah Kate

So...for about 4 years I've been soul searching, struggling with my purpose.

Let's be honest...I've been struggling with this my entire adult life, but in a job sense I would say it's been about 4 years, maybe more. 

The decision to quite work when Blakely was 3 months old was quite easy for me. I always wanted to be a mom first and foremost. I never gave it much thought beyond that. Financially it just didn't make sense for me to continue working at my current job taking into account daycare and gas. So...I quit. 

I was the first of anyone I knew, beyond my sister to have kids...I was one of the first to be married. Well...We had B girl 2 months after we celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary. I felt alone, confused, and quite frankly run over by an avalanche that first year. I had NO CLUE what being a Momma entailed. 

Year after year, it kept getting harder. I had Parker a short 20 months later. I always wanted my children to be close in age and that is something that I still love today. I love watching them play (even though at times it's more like watching the lion devour the poor antelope on TV). I love how close they are. I love that they stick up for each other and cover for each other even at such a young age. I love that they will be able to look after each other this upcoming school year--just a short school year apart! But, having them so close in age is just hard. Then I had AK 3 years after Parker. 3 under 5. EEK. 

I wanted my job back. Well, not really--but I did want an outlet. 

I worked part time with a fabulous photographer, Lindsey Culver, during the fall and winter of last year. (anyone who needs the best in Bham--go to her!!!) Parker got diagnosed with Autism in Jan and I just felt the need to step down from helping her at that point. I just went with my gut on that decision. I can't say that I really prayed about taking the job nor quitting the job. I just wanted time with my boy to figure things out. 

After 6 months, I realized that the medical bills were no joke. I just felt like I could do SOMETHING to help out!!! I started praying. I've prayed for years for my future job (you know, after the kids were all in 'big school') But, just 6 months ago I started crying out to God about his using me for something. I questioned the people who knew me best about what I would be a fit for...With the medical stuff going on with the two oldest, I knew I didn't need a 8-5 job, nor did I want one. I felt stuck and hopeless...for 6 months. I made the decision to swap AK from Covenant's 3 day program to Shades Mnt. ELC's 5 day without a job in sight, with the hope that something would come. I toyed with the idea of teaching preschool, but God kept closing doors! SLAMMING them actually-and they hurt (my confidence that is) But I knew deep down that I'm not made to teach. I can barely keep my patience to teach my own children. It was the only job that I could come up with on paper that made sense though! Then I actually thought about selling something--there are so many opportunities to sell out there. One thing I am NOT, is a sales person. It is anti every bit of my being. I abhor it. BUT--what else was there that would be fit for a Momma to 3 small ones???

Then it happened...a friend called me while I was at the beach basically screaming that she found my future job!!! She visited Hannah Kate's sample sale that first day and saw a sign saying they were in need of a seamstress. (I had just one week before had a loooooong heart to heart with her about my soul seeking job hunt) So...I called Hannah Kate and left them a message asking for an interview! I heard nothing for one day-lol and decided to take my 3 kiddos in there office after a long day of VBS. It was then that I felt this crazy peace that this was it. My place. This was my fit. This was God's fit for me. I talked to Gail, the production manager and she explained the job. Shortly after I got another interview with Emily, the business manager...and shortly after that I got the huge privilege to speak with Andrea the owner and designer!!! It was a crazy out of body experience for me. I got the job! 

So...I've been working at HK for 2 weeks and I am slightly obsessed with the women who work there, what they stand for, and the extreme talent they have--Andrea's story and mission is just so touching-her heart is made of gold. 

Anyone who knows me, knows I love clothing, fashion and all things fabric. I am a hoarder of nothing other than fabric and sewing supplies, so to say that this position is perfect is just such an understatement. I am currently employed to help trace and cut appliqués. I love every minute of it. I have made 4 prototypes for Andrea so far and have LOVED every second of that! I am so excited that God faithfully answered this prayer of mine. 

I wish I could post the pics of my prototypes, but maybe you will see them in the upcoming spring line--who knows?!?! Here are a couple of shots that little AK tried on for Andrea though to get a fit!


and here is a shot I took of the start of a prototype! 

No comments:

Post a Comment